Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Alvar Aalto

Bill
10-11-16

Alvar Aalto's path is completely a different story of life as it compares to what the other architects has reached. In the area of architecture particularly in this competitive modernism field, majority of the architects has been concentrating on the the aesthetic aspect, the ornamental value of their work instead of considering other indispensable factors such as comfort or practicability.   To be honest, when I walked into the Aalto University and took my first look onto the constructions standing in front of me, I was not quite pleased. I came all the way to Helsinki from China and was ready to spend my entire summer time to search for inspiration from Alvar Aalto's architecture pieces, but the first thing came out of my mind was that I rather go back and enjoy my summer than wasting my time here: everything  looks quite normal and banal, missing the visual spark of a masterpiece. I was searching for the point that shocks me and keep ignoring the indoor and outdoor space itself---the architect's thought which is within the entire structure, the whole space.                                                                                

The best method of comprehension and interpretation of art inspiration is to measure and experience via body. The most conspicuous reference of Alvar Alato's architecture is the inclined, uptrend semi-circle plane which is usually distributed as the ladder form, a reflection on the classic terraced architecture: the Colosseum in Rome.

Shoot in Otaniemie campus.   The closer I watched into the structure, the less details I saw. Things might get more interesting when people observe on a different, subjective angle. Making the full use of the natural lights as well as structuring a coherent sapce: The stairway is built right in the middle and the natural light comes outside the cafe directly across the stairs to the kitchen on the other side of stairs.  Alvar Aalto is very successful being a architect and a human that the unique feeling when I enter his structure is cozy and comfort. The person who successfully built the world consist of aesthetic, harmony and purpose, is Aalto.
Shoot at Aato Studio (1955-1966). 
Aalto Studio in Munkkiniemi, Helsinki is considered to be a home-like studio due to its design. What I found interesting is that there's no window in the front side street in the studio in the purpose of reducing the distraction from outside. As a consequence, all of the windows are opened toward the backyard, which is also a small space of semi-circle plane. 
What really impresses me deeply is the Tuberculosis Sanatorium at Paimio by Aalto finished in 1933 above. This is probably the most humane, friendly hospital design I've ever seen in my life even compare it to the modern hospital. The stairway of the Sanatorium would be the spark point, the finishing touch in which Pop art factor is softly blended and the using of natural light is nicely used by those big french windows. It is full of vitality and energy as it compares to the traditional hospital. 

As I and people always say, Aalto is such a successful individual as a human being. What's in his every single space and structure and each tiny details is not only the concept and techniques of either art or architecture and pursuit of visual effect, but also the purpose of what he is doing, which, I assume is the reason why there's a lot of moving and empathy floating in my mind and growing deeper as the time has gone by.






No comments:

Post a Comment